Orientations for New Students
We want every student to feel welcome and a part of the Canterbury community. New families are assigned a host family to answer questions and make introductions. There are several opportunities for new parents and students to meet other students and learn their way around campus before school starts:
- In May, there is an orientation for new PreK and kindergarten parents that gives new parents time in the classrooms with teachers.
- Canterbury Summers camps are a great way for incoming kindergarteners to get oriented to campus.
- Parents of students in Grades 1-4 who will be new to Canterbury have the opportunity to meet with the Director of Lower School in August before school starts. They learn about carpool, dress code, what to pack for lunch, schedules, and more.
- New-to-middle-school students and parents have a short evening meeting in the spring to talk with the Director and Assistant Director of Middle School about carpool, dress code, what to pack for lunch, schedules, and more.
- All rising 5th grade students (whether new to Canterbury or returning) have a special orientation in August, where they can meet their advisors, participate in team-building activities, and tour the middle school classrooms. Families get detailed information from the Director of Middle School in early summer.
- All 5th-8th grade students who will be new to Canterbury have orientation over two half-days in August. Families get detailed information from the Director of Middle School during early summer.