Working together to help children learn and grow in a complex world
Nov. 25, 2019
Kids and Technology: Tips for Parents
By Anne Krishnan, Canterbury Parents' Association
Managing technology requires the same parenting skills as any other challenge, a panel of experts assured parents last week at The Technology Tightrope, a program sponsored by the Canterbury Parents’ Association.
Using technology appropriately is a skill parents need to help their children learn, like any other, the panelists said. Rather than avoiding it or putting it off until kids are older, they encouraged parents to spend time learning about technology and why it is so important to their children. At the same time, they recommended setting limits using content filtering software and clear expectations for their children’s online behavior.
Speakers on the panel included Dr. Michaeline “Mikey” Jensen, assistant professor of psychology at UNCG; Deputy Chief Mike Richey with the Greensboro Police Department; and Linda Bernard, middle school director at Canterbury School.
Learn more about the latest research and a balanced approach to technology with the video and resources below.
Online safety education program
NetSmartz, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Parental control tools
The Best Parental Control Software for 2019, PC Magazine
Current apps of concern
A Complete Guide to Apps All Parents Should Be Aware Of, FamilyEducation.com
Parenting approaches to technology use
26 Questions Parents Have to Ask About Technology For Kids, ForEveryMom.com
- The importance of reading aloud to your children
- 5 questions to ask when considering a school
- Advent encouragement for the hectic holiday season
- Kids and Technology: Tips for Parents
- Making your list and checking it twice? Book ideas for holiday giving
- Why do children learn to play the recorder?
- Strong bonds enrich students and teachers for a lifetime
- Helping your child love reading
- Simulations build empathy in middle schoolers
- Is my child ready for kindergarten?
- Online branding tips for teens
- Report Card Ruminations
- Transitioning from Canterbury to High School
- How to start your school search
- Finding the right school
- How to read a report card
- Is PreK the most important year of school?
- Pros and cons of kids and technology